Moon Sighting - رؤية الهلال
Our community makes effort throughout the year to maintain the Sunnah of sighting the crescent moon (hilal) in order to establish the beginnings of Islamic months. An archive history of moon sighting results is maintained here.
To receive monthly text message notification of moon sighting for Rome, GA, text @hijri1438 to 81010. When you receive a confirmation text back, reply with your name to join the message group.
Ramadhan 1444 - March 23, 2023 • (بداية شهر رمضان لسنة ١٤٤٤)
First day of fasting for Ramadhan 1444 AH is Thursday, March 23, 2023.[More...]
Dhul Hijjah 1443 - July 1, 2022 • (بداية شهر ذي الحجة لسنة ١٤٤٣)
First day of Dhul Hijjah 1443 AH is Friday, July 1st, 2022.[More...]
(View all calendar announcements here.)
Presentations to the community were made in May 2017 to explain some of the issues surrounding moon sighting with respect to Ramadhan and the two Eids. Below are the slides, handouts, and recording of one of the sessions.
- Moon Sighting - Slides
- Handout (translations of ahadith)
Comments/questions/corrections regarding the presentation below are much appreciated. Please email us at: email@example.com.
Links and Resources
(* Links below are provided for informational and reference purposes only and do not necessarily constitute endorsement or promotion of the linked site.)
- Hajj & Eid-ul-Adha
- Following Saudi Moonsighting is a Munkar and an open wrong | Jamiat Ulama-e-Britain
- Documentary of Saudi Moon Sighting Issue Ruyat-e-Hilal (URDU language) | Allamah Maulana Samiruddin Qasmi 2017
- Additional videos posted by Wifaqul Ulama, UK
- Moonsighting Interview (Wifaqul-ulama, in English)
- Articles and Publications
- Moon Sighting by Shaykh Mohammed Ibrahim Memon, Darul Uloom Al Madania, USA
- Moonsighting (Ruyut-e-Hilal) articles by Mufti Muhammad Yusuf Danka, Croydon Mosque (UK).
- Do Saudi Scholars impose Saudi moon sighting on Non-Saudi residents?
- Determination of Eid al-Adha by Justice Maulana Mufti M. Taqi Usmani
- Ruyat-e-Hilal (Urdu) by Mufti-e-Azam Muhammad Shafi, Pakistan
- Caesarean Moon Births: Part 1 & Part 2, on the invalidity of using calculation to determine Islamic months, by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, USA
- Crescent visibility maps (also here)
It is not possible to expect all the Muslims to start fasting at the same time
Fasting with the moon sighting of the people of your country:
Sighting the moon; not following calculation
Follow day of Arafah for your country, not Saudi
Day of Arafah is different for every country
Ummul-Qura criterion: http://www.ummulqura.org.sa/president_address.aspx
"The Um Al-Qura calendar is both the formal and civil calendar of the Kingdom, but it may not match the actual visibility of the crescent which is necessary to start the religious months."