Moon Sighting - رؤية الهلال
Our community makes effort throughout the year to maintain the Sunnah of sighting the crescent moon (hilal) in order to establish the beginnings of Islamic months. An archive history of moon sighting results is maintained here.
To receive monthly text message notification of moon sighting for Rome, GA, text @hijri1438 to 81010. When you receive a confirmation text back, reply with your name to join the message group.
First day of Muharram 1440 is Tuesday, September 11, 2018.
First day of Dhul-Hijjah 1439 AH is Monday, August 13th, 2018. Eid-ul-Adha prayer on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2018.
Presentations to the community were made in May 2017 to explain some of the issues surrounding moon sighting with respect to Ramadhan and the two Eids. Below are the slides, handouts, and recording of one of the sessions.
Comments/questions/corrections regarding the presentation below are much appreciated. Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links and Resources
(* Links below are provided for informational and reference purposes only and do not necessarily constitute endorsement or promotion of the linked site.)
- Hajj & Eid-ul-Adha
- Following Saudi Moonsighting is a Munkar and an open wrong | Jamiat Ulama-e-Britain
- Documentary of Saudi Moon Sighting Issue Ruyat-e-Hilal (URDU language) | Allamah Maulana Samiruddin Qasmi 2017
- Additional videos posted by Wifaqul Ulama, UK
- Moonsighting Interview (Wifaqul-ulama, in English)
- Articles and Publications
- Moon Sighting by Shaykh Mohammed Ibrahim Memon, Darul Uloom Al Madania, USA
- Moonsighting (Ruyut-e-Hilal) articles by Mufti Muhammad Yusuf Danka, Croydon Mosque (UK).
- Do Saudi Scholars impose Saudi moon sighting on Non-Saudi residents?
- Determination of Eid al-Adha by Justice Maulana Mufti M. Taqi Usmani
- Ruyat-e-Hilal (Urdu) by Mufti-e-Azam Muhammad Shafi, Pakistan
- Caesarean Moon Births: Part 1 & Part 2, on the invalidity of using calculation to determine Islamic months, by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, USA